I mean, I understand that I usually end up buying similar things, and go toward a style that I know works, but even with clothes that are more or less unattainable I still lean the same way. Interesting, no?
So in the past 2 years, or less (not sure how long I've been on pinterest), I can see that when it comes to clothing I like 3 main colors - various shades of blue, yellow, and orange. The blues range from navy to turquoise; the yellows mostly stick with mustard or canary; the oranges range from coral to burnt. Other trends? I like 2 patterns styles predominantly (though I stick with lots of solids) - stripes or polka dots. Again, who knew? I definitely know that in the past year I've come to adore stripes, but polka dots is news to me. Especially considering that if you look in my closet, there would be a definitely lack of any dot. Oh well. Maybe one day.
While figuring out a style of decorating is a little more difficult - I also see a pattern of ideas popping up in the pins of some of my favorite rooms, and ideas I find I could actually pull off.
- open shelving. I should have guessed that I liked this from how much I enjoy our bookshelf- and arranging it. I think I just like the display of pretty things. Plates. Books.
- eclectic. I love mixing colors, fabrics, patterns, objects, everything. Why match? I can tell, I prefer things to look a little different, though i have no idea how this relates in my own home. I feel like everything's pretty match-y. I do have a few fun patterns, but not in the same room. Hmm.
- gallery walls. I feel like this combines the open shelves display with the eclectic. Gallery wall options are endless. Family pictures. Art. China plates. Mirrors. Beautiful frames. What's not to love? Pulling it off? A little more difficult. I currently have a gallery wall, but see room for improvement. That'll have to wait until the next home.
- simple wall colors. Almost all my favorite spaces have neutral walls. A clean white or gray or pale blue. A couple rooms have a white walls and a blue ceiling. Love that idea! Currently our walls are beige, because we live in an apartment and have currently chosen not to bother with painting anything. One day, that will change. :)
- maps. This is a new love of mine. I don't really know when it came about. Perhaps it came around the time I started memorizing the countries of the world through Sporcle quizzes. But I love globe collection and creative uses of maps. I've started using that a little in my decor, but we'll see how it evolves in the future.
|Blogged about this wall before here, but now have a globe to go with the painting!|